Saturday, January 29, 2011

Song Writing

Hmmm so I want post about song writing, but its an extremely hard topic to talk about and explain, every songwriter and every song is written differently, some write lyrics first, some write the physical music first.

I will explain the way that I write, and believe me, in no way am I saying that "this is the way to do it, if you don't do it like this you are doing it wrong" there are so many ways to write songs, and each song writer will have their own way of writing. Back on track, my way of writing songs, has worked out reasonably well for me, I believe it is more of a "pop" sort of method, because instead of writing, exactly how you feel, you are more.. writing along what sounds good, you are still writing how you feel, but it is more about how it sounds with this method.

So, I'll walk you through my songwriting method, to start with, I like to start with little motifs (riffs) or just a hook, that will keep people listening, songs like Dammit - Blink 182, it has that intro guitar riff that is repeated throughout the song. So I find a nice sounding motif (riff) and then, get that sounding reasonably nice, then I will find a chord progression that goes well with the riff, and being into pop punk these chord progressions are generally easy to find, sometimes they are as simple as C,G,A,F and because I am writing a song that can have such a basic chord progression, I will let it have a basic chord progression, it has worked in the past, just about every Greenday song is a basic progression so why do I need to change it?

So, find a motif, or riff, and find chords. Record it! If you have your phone record it on that! but record it on something you can play back to yourself so that you can listen to it, then write lyrics! it helps so so much!!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment