Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Gear List - Drums

 I have already done a post about "Our Gear" although this is going to be a more detailed description.. with pictures and more information.

So I will do this in the order in which I record.
To start with, the drums.
I have a Mapex Pro M Series drum kit, it was originally a 6 piece drum kit I believe, I purchased it as a 5 piece drum kit, with a 20 inch kick, 14 inch snare, 10 inch tom tom, a 12 inch tom tom and a 14 inch tom tom. However, I play it as a 4 piece, using only my 10 inch and my 14 inch tom. I have had this drum kit for around 6 months now and only recently have I finally managed to get around to having a recording of it! I record my drums with 5 microphones (not ideal, but at the moment it is all I can afford) my mike setup is as follows:

  1. Kick - Q Kick
  2. Snare - Q Snare
  3. Tom 1 - Q Tom
  4. Tom 2 - Q Tom
  5. Hi Hat - Sennheiser E840
My ideal set up would include two more microphones used as overheads (Condenser mikes preferably). At the moment I am using Samson 5Kit microphones (They are the Q kick, snare and tom's next to the drum names) as well as a Sennheiser E840 on the hi hats.

My cymbal set up is extremely basic, and at the moment i dont actually have a crash cymbal! I have a Ride, and Hihats, (Again not ideal! But its all I have) My cymbal set up is Zildjan ZBT hihats and ride. I am looking at investing in a new crash! Below are some pictures of the drum kit miked up and ready to be recorded!







                              
So there you go! You can now see the drum kit and the mikes on the kit and how they are miked up! I really hope that helped any future engineers that might be reading this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment